Frequently Asked Questions
If you cannot find the answer to your questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call us:
- Lugano trial – Francesca Cellina, SUPSI: +41(0)58 666 62 61
- Geneva trial – Camille Vedel, CITEC: +41(0)22 809 60 00
- Winterthur-Zurich trial – Uroš Tomic, ZHAW: +41 (0)58 934 78 58
App installation and registration
1. How can I access the MixMyRide app?
MixMyRide is available for free download to iOS and Android users from March 2023 until February 2024. To download it from App Store and Google Play, just click on the pictures below – and remember to agree on the Information sheet – Terms and conditions. MixMyRide requires a minimum of iOS 9 and Android 5 operating systems. Unfortunately, if your smartphone uses a different or older operating system, you cannot access MixMyRide.
2. I have regularly downloaded and installed the app, though it does not provide me with any trip solutions. Indeed, I cannot even offer carpooling rides.
MixMyRide currently only covers the regions around Lugano, Geneva and Winterthur-Zurich. More specifically, trip searches or offers need to be fully included in the areas represented in the following maps: Lugano, Winterthur-Zurich, and Geneva. If your trip searches or offers are not fully included in each of these areas, MixMyRide does not work.
If you experienced a problem related with trips fully included in each of such areas, please write us at email@example.com or use the MixMyRide Issue notification form to notify us about the problem, providing as much details as possible about the issue. Thank you for your collaboration!
3. I would like to find trip solutions from Lugano to Zurich. Can I use MixMyRide for this purpose?
Unfortunately, not. MixMyRide is a research project and available computational resources are limited. For the field trials of MixMyRide performed from March, 2023 to February, 2024, only mobility solutions that are fully included in one of the areas shown at point 2 are possible. You can look for trips around Lugano (including areas in Italy) and for trips around Winterthur-Zurich, but not for trips between one of such areas and the other one.
4. I would like to find public transport solutions in the Northern part of the province of Varese, in Italy. I have seen this region is included in the area covered by MixMyRide, however it seems that buses operating in that area are never offered by MixMyRide.
Indeed, you are correct. MixMyRide covers part of the Italian territory. However, as MixMyRide is a Swiss research project, it only accounts for public transport data that is made available from the open data platform on mobility in Switzerland: https://opentransportdata.swiss/. Some public transport routes are included (basically, the trans-national ones connecting Switzerland to Italy), however those that only operate in the Italian country are not included. If you travel from Italy to Switzerland across the border, carpooling rides might be the solution!
5. Which data is the MixMyRide app going to collect?
- name, surname, email address, phone number;
- car producer, model and car-plate (if app users want to offer car-pooling rides);
- date, time, starting and arrival address for offered carpooling rides;
- date, time, starting and arrival address for requested mobility rides;
- evaluations made to other app users.
MixMyRide also collects and stores evaluations each app user receives by other app users. MixMyRide also automatically detects the users’ position, if users ask for their position to be geo-localised when they either ask or offer a trip. However, this position is not registered by the MixMyRide platform. No tracking of other mobility data is performed by MixMyRide. Particularly, no mobility tracking is performed, namely no GPS data is collected to follow app users’ position over time or during carpooling trips.
6. How will my personal data collected by the MixMyRide app be treated and stored?
7. Will other personal data be collected by the MixMyRide project, besides those collected by the app?
Data will also be collected through an online questionnaire, offered at three different times (at start of app use, halfway during the field trial of the MixMyRide project, and at the end of the field trial of the MixMyRide project). All the users of the MixMyRide app will receive an email invitation to answer such questionnaires, which will be sent to the email address indicated at registration in the MixMyRide app. The data collected via the questionnaires will be stored in protected servers hosted in Switzerland by ZHAW.
A subsample of MixMyRide participants will also be enrolled, on a voluntary basis, to participate to an audio-recorded group interview. The data collected via the group interviews will be stored in protected servers hosted in Switzerland by ZHAW, CITEC and SUPSI.
All such data will then be used, as part of the MixMyRide research project, for statistical analyses conducted by the whole research consortium.
8. Will other MixMyRide users see my personal data?
The other users of the MixMyRide app might have access to the following : your name and surname and, if you entered them, your picture and your car details. All this data is automatically read from your Profile section, in which you manually entered it. Other app users might also have access to your evaluation feedback (the evaluations you received by the other users). This piece of information is only made available to the other app users if you either offer or request a carpooling ride – and we think this is the minimum piece of information needed to agree on sharing carpooling rides with strangers. If you do not offer or request for carpooling rides, no other MixMyRide will ever access to any data of yours. In any case, neither emails nor phone numbers will ever be shared through MixMyRide.
Participation in the MixMyRide research project
9. I would like to use the MixMyRide app. Does this mean I am automatically participating to the MixMyRide research project?
The MixMyRide app is developed within a research project and for the time being it is not a commercial product. All users of the MixMyRide app are automatically included in the list of participants to the field trials arranged within the research project. They will therefore be invited to answer three short online surveys throughout the project duration (at the start of the trials, halfway and at the end, between March 2023 and February 2024). A small selection of app users will also be invited to join a group interview with other app users. Invitation to answer the surveys and join the group interview will be administered via email, to the email indicated by the user at registration in the app. App users are not compelled to answer the surveys or join the group interview. However, if they do answer and participate to the interview, they gain the possibility to enter the random draws that will be hosted by MixMyRide every other month. Overall, a maximum of 4’000 CHF in prizes for the random draws is available in each of the three regions of Lugano, Geneva and Winterthur-Zurich.
10. What are the specific requirements to participate to the MixMyRide research project?
All app users are automatically listed among project participants. They will receive a few email communications, inviting them to answer a short online survey or to join a group interview. Overall, project participants are asked to answer three online surveys. Only a selected group of participants will instead be invited to join a group interview. Detailed conditions for project participation are fully reported in the Information sheet – Terms and conditions document.
In exchange for the effort and time required for these activities, MixMyRide participants enter bi-monthly random draws offering prizes for a maximum of 4’000 CHF in each region (Lugano, Geneva, Winterthur-Zurich). However, please note that, in order to be admitted to the bi-monthly random draws organized by MixMyRide, participants need to be “active MixMyRide users”: they are expected to have answered all the surveys received by email and to regularly offer carpooling trips and/or regularly search for trips by using the MixMyRide app. Finally, please note that the number of prizes offered by each bi-monthly random draw depends on the number of “active MixMyRide users”that is reached in each region on the day of the random draw. Details on access to the random draws are reported in document “Information sheet – Terms and conditions document”.
11. What are benefits for participation to the MixMyRide research project?
There are a number of benefits, both at the community level and at the personal level – contribute to a research project, support attempts to decarbonize urban mobility, reduce stress due to car use, increase options for active mobility and possibly also find new friends and get novel socialization options.
Besides all this, project participants will have the chance to enter bi-monthly random draws, offering prizes (vouchers) for a maximum of 4’000 CHF for each trial region (Lugano, Geneva, Winterthur-Zurich). Please note: at each random draw, only “active MixMyRide users” will be allowed to enter the draw. Conditions for being regarded as “active MixMyRide users” are detailed in document “Information sheet – Terms and conditions document”.
12. I would like to try use of the MixMyRide app. However, I do not want to join the related research project. Is this possible?
Currently the MixMyRide app is only made available within the MixMyRide research project: MixMyRide is not a commercial product yet, but a prototype designed for research purposes. In case it is proven to produce tangible effects on local mobility, after the project MixMyRide might be developed into a commercial product. For the time being, therefore, any MixMyRide user is treated as a participant to the MixMyRide research project.
Participants will receive the invitation to answer three short online surveys throughout the field trial period (March 2023 – February 2024) and to possibly join a group interview meeting (if selected for invitation).
In exchange for their contribution to a research project, “active MixMyRide app users” will enter by-monthly random draws, that offer prizes for a maximum of 4’000 CHF for each field trial region (Lugano, Geneva and Winterthur-Zurich). Please, note: the number of prizes offered at each random draw in each region depends on the number of “active MixMyRide users” reached in that region on the day of the random draw (detailed conditions are reported in document “Information sheet – Terms and conditions document”). Bring a friend into the MixMyRide community to ensure the maximum number of prizes is offered in each random draw!
13. I started to use MixMyRide and even answered the first survey by the MixMyRide project. However I recently uninstalled the app and want to leave the project. How can I do this? And what happens to my personal data collected by MixMyRide so far?
Participation to the MixMyRide project is a voluntary choice, therefore participants have the right to join and leave the project at any time, without providing reasons for this. If you want to be removed from the list of MixMyRide participants (which implies you will not receive invitations to enter the next survey and will not enter the next random draw), write us at firstname.lastname@example.org, asking to be removed from the list of project participants. You can also ask that data related to your person that were collected in the past are integrally cancelled and removed from the MixMyRide data-bases. Since reasons for leaving the project are relevant for research purposes, participants wishing to leave the project and/or asking to cancel their data will be asked the reasons via an online, anonymous, short questionnaire. Answering the questionnaire will however not be compulsory and participants will be free to ignore it.
Transport modes and trip solutions
14. What are the transport modes covered by MixMyRide?
MixMyRide covers for any types of public transport modes included in the open data platform on mobility in Switzerland: https://opentransportdata.swiss/. It also includes car-pooling rides that are offered by users of the MixMyRide platform itself (please, offer as much carpooling rides as you can!) and active mobility modes, namely walking, cycling and e-scooters. Regarding the latter, MixMyRide accounts for all the bike-sharing and e-scooter sharing companies that are active in a given area at the time when a trip search is performed, including both station-based and free-floating sharing schemes. Data comes from the Shared mobility open platform managed by EnergieSchweiz and Swisstopo.
15. I would like to select both walking and bicycle transport mode options. Apparently, however, this is not possible. Is this a bug?
No, this is not a bug. It is a limitation that we needed to introduce in order to ensure that MixMyRide algorithms always manage to find at least one mobility solution. If you want to know more about this choice, please write us at email@example.com and we will be happy to explain in details how MixMyRide algorithms work and why they cannot consider both walking and cycling transport modes together.
16. Can MixMyRide deal with real-time transport data and manage possible delays in public transport and/or carpooling rides?
Unfortunately, public transport data in real-time is currently only available for a limited cases, and the same holds for road traffic data. Or, better: available characteristics of real-time mobility data are not compatible with needs by MixMyRide. Therefore, we are sorry but MixMyRide only works with schedule public transport data (frequently updated with the latest schedule version available at https://opentransportdata.swiss/) and, for carpooling rides, with average travel times estimated by the MixMyRide platform. If you are part of a carpooling ride and experience any delays, please refer to the internal chat to interact with your carpooling companion.
17. The system takes too long to provide mobility solutions. Why is it so?
The routing algorithm that runs behind MixMyRide requires high computing power, especially for the areas of Geneva and Winterthur-Zurich, where public transport network is very dense. As MixMyRide is a research project and available computational resources are limited, this implies that providing some trip solutions will require a bit more time than expected. Please, trust the system and wait until MixMyRide finds mobility solutions suitable to your trip request.
Bookings and payments
18. Can I book and buy a ticket for a mobility solution suggested by MixMyRide?
Booking and buying tickets for your mobility solutions is easy with MixMyRide! You can book carpooling rides through the app’s features that ensure quick and effective interactions with the car driver offering the carpooling ride. Payments for carpooling rides need instead to be performed outside MixMyRide – details in the next FAQ. For public transport rides, instead, you can use MixMyRide to identify effective mobility solutions and plan your trip. Then, no need to buy your tickets in advance! MixMyRide has arranged a cooperation with FAIRTIQ: you just have to jump on public transport and activate the FAIRTIQ ticketing service by a couple of clicks from the MixMyRide app. When you jump off public transport, just stop the FAIRTIQ ticketing process. You will be automatically invoiced for the amount of the trip fare. For shared mobility (bicycles or e-scooters), instead, no booking is possible: these services only work with real-time. MixMyRide however shows the availability of such transport modes (high or low), estimated based on data collected in the previous month, and provides you with the link(s) to check real-time availability on the websites of the shared mobility providers themselves.
19. Can I pay a carpooling companion through MixMyRide?
Unfortunately, payment systems are currently not available in MixMyRide. Carpooling drivers can decide if asking their carpooling rider(s) to share travel expenses they afford with their car. MixMyRide provides an indication of the value that such a sharing of expenses could be set at. Then, it is up to the driver to decide whether asking the rider to pay for such an amount or not. Finally, the rider and the driver are invited to agree together on the easiest solution to pay for the carpooling ride. The Twint system might for instance be a good option, when cash money is not available at hand. If you live in Italy and daily commute to Switzerland, you might also like to use the Satispay system.
20. How can I pay for public transport tickets in MixMyRide?
MixMyRide made an agreement with FAIRTIQ, to make an innovative ticketing services available to all MixMyRide users. Through FAIRTIQ, you do not need to buy tickets in advance: you can jump on and off public transport, by just activating the FAIRTIQ ticketing service at the start and end of your trip. FAIRTIQ will identify the public transport fare and automatically issue your ticket. The trip fare will be computed at the end of your trip and on the day after the credit card you have entered on the FAIRTIQ app will be charged for the corresponding amount of money. All the details are reported on the FAIRTIQ website.
To benefit from the FAIRTIQ ticketing service, select “Tickets with FAIRTIQ” from the left menu on the MixMyRide app. The first time you click it, the link will automatically open the FAIRTIQ app download page on the App Store or on Google Play. Please, download and install the FAIRTIQ app and register an account on it. Then, the next time you will click on “Tickets with FAIRTIQ”, the FAIRTIQ app will automatically open. There, you will just have to slide the “START” button when you jump on public transport and the “STOP” button when you jump off. You can use different public transport modes in the same trip and the FAIRTIQ app has also developed a “smart stop” feature, that detects when you have forgotten to stop your journey and provides you with push notifications to remind you to check-out. You can find answers to all your questions about ticketing with FAIRTIQ on their FAQ webpage.
21. I think the trip solutions suggested by MixMyRide are not correct. Based on my knowledge of the public transport network and of shared mobility options for active mobility available in my region, I would expect different solutions.
If you doubt about the effectiveness of the trip solutions suggested by MixMyRide, we would be happy to collect your feedback. Please, use the MixMyRide Issue notification form to notify us about the problem. Please, report the trip search you made, the type of solution you would expect and the solutions offered by MixMyRide. The more details you will be able to provide, the more your feedback will help us improve MixMyRide. We thank you in advance for the time you will devote to this effort! MixMyRide is still a prototype and will definitely benefit from any notifications of errors.
22. As long as I interact with MixMyRide, I find errors, bugs, or I have the impression the app does not behave as I would have expected. How can I notify you about these problems?
MixMyRide is a prototype for research purposes and it has not been optimized yet for deployment as a commercial service. We therefore cannot exclude that, despite the great care we devoted to app testing, some bugs or errors are still present. If you experience any problems, we would appreciate you could notify them to us, by using the MixMyRide Issue notification form. The more details you will be able to provide, the more your feedback will help us improve MixMyRide. We thank you in advance for the time you will devote to this effort!
Prizes and random draws
23. What prizes are available to the MixMyRide participants?
In exchange for the commitment to use the MixMyRide platform, MixMyRide rewards its users with the following set of prizes:
- the first 50 persons that, in each region (Lugano, Geneva, Winterthur-Zurich) register on the MixMyRide app, answer the first MixMyRide survey, and offer 3 carpooling rides receive a 20 CHF voucher;
- every two months, in each region random draws are organized, each of which offers a maximum of 10 prizes (vouchers) of the value of 50 CHF each. These draws are performed on May, 2 2023; June, 30, 2023; August, 31 2023; October, 31 2023; December, 31 2023;
- the final MixMyRide random draw is performed on February, 29 2024. It offers two prizes (vouchers) of the value of 250 CHF each.
Overall, in each region a maximum of 4’000 CHF is available for prizes, which in all cases will consist in vouchers. Winners in the region of Lugano will only be able to redeem the voucher for LVGA, the digital token by the City of Lugano. Winners in the regions of Geneva and Winterthur-Zurich will be offered to choose from a selection of bodies, such as SBB, Veloplus, Coop, Migros, Manor.
Please, note: to enter the random draws, you must meet the requirements for being an “active MixMyRide user”. Also: the number of prizes offered in each bi-monthly random draw depends on the number of “active MixMyRide users” in each region. See the Information sheet – Terms and conditions document for additional details.
24. I read that only “active MixMyRide users” can enter the bi-monthly random draws. What do you mean with that?
To be regarded as an “active MixMyRide user”, on the day before the one scheduled for the random draw, you must meet the three following conditions:
- have registered a personal account on the MixMyRide app;
- have answered all the survey(s) for which an email invitation has been sent to the email address you indicated at registration on the MixMyRide app;
- have offered at least 1 carpooling trips per week in the last two months or have searched for at least 4 trips per week in the last two months, by using the MixMyRide app.
If, on the day when requirements for being an “active MixMyRide user” are verified, you have been registered on the MixMyRide app for less than two months, the above requirements on the number of offered carpooling rides and searched for trips are proportionally scaled to the number of weeks since you have been registered on MixMyRide.
25. Are the MixMyRide random draws in any case performed every two months?
In each region where the MixMyRide trials take place (Lugano, Geneva and Winterthur-Zurich), the random draws are scheduled for May, 2 2023; June, 30, 2023; August, 31 2023; October, 31 2023; December, 31 2023; February, 29 2024.
However, note that in each region the number of prizes offered by the random draw will depend on the number of “active MixMyRide” users on the day before the one scheduled for the random draw, as follows:
- Less that 50 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 1 voucher of the value of 50 CHF;
- Less than 75 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 2 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each;
- Less than 100 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 3 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each;
- Less than 125 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 4 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each;
- Less than 150 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 5 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each;
- Less than 175 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 6 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each;
- Less than 200 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 7 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each;
- Less than 225 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 8 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each;
- Less than 250 “active MixMyRide” users in that region: the prize consists in 9 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each;
- 250 “active MixMyRide” users in that region or more: the prize consists in 10 vouchers of the value of 50 CHF each.
To ensure a large number of prizes is offered at each random draw in each region, regularly interact with the MixMyRide app, by offering carpooling rides and searching for trips to support your daily mobility needs, remember to answer the short online surveys when you will receive the invitations and… bring some friends and help us grow the MixMyRide community!
26. Where can I find the detailed regulations about the random draws organized by MixMyRide?
The detailed regulations about the MixMyRide random draws are available in document “Information sheet – Terms and conditions document”. Please, note: these regulations might be modified by the MixMyRide research team during the project, based on the evolution of the MixMyRide trials in Lugano, Geneva and Winterthur-Zurich. Please, always check the updated version of this document that you find online on MixMyRide website.
27. What are the “MixMyRide regional competitions”?
Every two months (in the months where no random draw is performed), the “MixMyRide regional competition” is automatically activated.
The competition counts the overall number of offered carpooling rides and trip searches that are performed in each region and ranks the regions accordingly. The region with the highest number, wins the competition.
The competition is held with any numbers of “active MixMyRide users” and neither eligibility requirements nor threshold on the minimum numbers of active users are set. So, you just have to keep interacting with the MixMyRide app and you can support your region to win the bi-monthly competition. Will MixMyRide users of Lugano, Geneva or Winterthur-Zurich be the competition champions?
Incentives in Lugano and Winterthur-Zurich
28. Are monetary incentives for carpooling paid to carpooling riders?
No, the incentives are only paid to carpooling drivers. The incentives are a way to acknowledge the costs the drivers bear by using their car. Equal to 15 LVGA per kilometer (15 cts CHF/km), they correspond to half of the costs that MixMyRide estimates to be the cost for every kilometer of car use (30 cts CHF/km). If you are a carpooling rider, you are however fully benefitting from these incentives: you can get MixMyRide carpooling rides for free!
29. Are the incentives available to any MixMyRide users?
No, the incentives are only available to MixMyRide users that offer carpooling rides, provided that:
- the offered carpooling rides are included in the “Ticino” or “Winterthur-Zurich” MixMyRide areas (check the maps in your Profile section in the MixMyRide app);
- the offered carpooling rides are booked by other MixMyRide users (riders) via the MixMyRide app and are regularly performed.
30. Are the incentives paid for every carpooling ride that is offered via MixMyRide?
No, the incentives are only paid to MixMyRide carpooling drivers if:
- the offered carpooling rides are included in the “Ticino” or “Winterthur-Zurich” MixMyRide areas (check the maps in your Profile section in the MixMyRide app);
- the offered carpooling rides are booked by other MixMyRide users (riders) via the MixMyRide app and the related carpooling ride is regularly performed;
- the user has not reached yet the maximum overall amount of 15’000 LVGA (150 CHF) of MixMyRide incentives.
- For Ticino users: the overall amount of MixMyRide incentives to carpooling attributed to all users during that month has not yet reached the maximum value of 125’000 LVGA (1’250 CHF).
- For Winterthur-Zurich users: the overall amount of MixMyRide incentives attributed to all users since the start of the project has not yet reached the maximum value of 2’500 CHF.
31. Can the incentives be attributed in other currencies than LVGA in Ticino or Migros or Coop vouchers in the agglomeration Winterthur-Zurich?
For the Ticino users: no, the incentives, covered by the City of Lugano, are only paid in LVGA, the digital currency of the City of Lugano. This is made on purpose, in order to support the local economy in the region of Lugano. The LVGA currency is in fact accepted in more than 400 commercial activities in the region of Lugano. Discover them all!
This implies that, to receive the incentives, MixMyRide users need to register an account on the MyLugano app. They will be asked to provide details of the MyLugano wallet that is associated with their account on the MyLugano app.
For the Winterthur-Zurich agglomeration users: no, the incentives in the agglomeration Winterthur-Zurich are only granted as Migros or Coop voucher for administrative reasons.
32. I was involved in a MixMyRide carpooling ride but I did not get the incentive. Why?
First of all, the carpooling ride needs to have been booked via MixMyRide and to appear as “Completed” under MyTrips in the MixMyRide app. If these requirements are met, you might be in one of the following situations:
- the incentive has not been paid yet, but it will be paid at the start of the next month (Ticino) or after the end of the project (Winterthur-Zurich). Indeed, all conditions for incentives are checked once a month (at the start of the month) in Ticino and at the end of the project in Winterthur-Zurich. If this is your case, just wait a few days and you will be contacted by MixMyRide to get your incentive;
- you have already been rewarded 15’000 LVGAs (150 CHF), namely you have reached the maximum amount of incentives allowed for each single MixMyRide user. If this is your case, you will not be able to get additional incentives from MixMyRide. We hope you are happy with the money you have received so far J;
- or, if you are a Ticino user: this month the overall maximum amount of MixMyRide incentives has already been attributed. By considering all the MixMyRide users, a maximum of 125’000 LVGAs (1’250 CHF) can be attributed every month for incentives. The incentives are attributed in chronological order, based on the date and time of performed carpooling rides. If the monthly maximum amount of incentives is reached before the end of the month, unfortunately the carpooling rides performed after such an amount is reached, cannot get the incentive. Anyway, please continue to offer carpooling rides! Until the end of February 2024, every month the computation of incentives restarts from zero.
33. I keep offering carpooling rides via MixMyRide but I never receive a carpooling ride booking request, therefore I am never entitled to get the incentive. Are the MixMyRide trip matching features properly working?
The MixMyRide trip matching algorithms work reasonably well. Even though there is always room for improvement, the key reason for your situation is probably due to the lack of a critical mass of people looking for trip solutions via MixMyRide. Spread the word about MixMyRide among your network of family and friends, and invite them to try the system, looking for new mobility solutions for their mobility needs. The higher the number of active MixMyRide users, the higher the chances for your carpooling ride offers to fit with the mobility needs by other users – and thus, the higher the chances for you to get the MixMyRide incentives.