According to the cantonal law on the protection of personal data of Canton Ticino (hereinafter, LPDP), the processing of your personal data collected via the MixMyRide app and any other piece of information collected during the MixMyRide project will be based on respect for principles and responsibilities listed in art. 7 and art. 8 of the LPDP. Processing of the collected data may be carried out manually or electronically, or in any case with the aid of computerized or automated tools.
Your personal data will be processed for the participation in the “MixMyRide” research project. The project involves three sources of data collection. Data will be collected through the MixMyRide app, by both manual user input as well as automatic collection through the app itself. The following data manually inputted by the user is collected:
- name, surname, email address, phone number;
- car producer, model and car-plate (if app users want to offer car-pooling rides);
- date, time, starting and arrival address for offered carpooling rides;
- date, time, starting and arrival address for requested mobility rides;
- evaluations made to other app users.
The MixMyRide app also collects and stores evaluations each app user receives by other app users. Finally, the MixMyRide app automatically detects the users’ position, if users ask for their position to be geo-localised when they either ask or offer a trip. However, this position is not registered by the MixMyRide platform. No tracking of other data is performed by MixMyRide. Particularly, no trip tracking is performed, namely no GPS data is collected to follow the app users’ position or the transport mode used over time, not even when exchanges of carpooling rides are involved.
The pseudonymisation table linking name and surname to the email address of the app users will only be accessed by the BePooler project partner. The email addresses of the MixMyRide app users will be only communicated to specific persons authorized by each project partner, and only for the purpose of the research needs by the MixMyRide project. Specifically, the email addresses will only be used to send invitations to answer the surveys, to link the contents from different surveys, to invite to join group interviews or provide communications on the evolution of project activities.
Data will also be collected through a computerized questionnaire, offered at three different times (at start of app use, halfway during the field trial and at the end of the field trial of the MixMyRide project). All the users of the MixMyRide app will receive the invitation to answer such questionnaires, which will be sent to the email address indicated at registration in the MixMyRide app. The data collected via the questionnaires will be stored in protected servers hosted in Switzerland by ZHAW.
Finally, a subsample of participants will also be enrolled, on a voluntary basis, to participate to an audio-recorded group interview. The collection will also concern categories of data listed in the art. 4 of the LPDP. The data collected via the group interviews will be stored in protected servers hosted in Switzerland by ZHAW, CITEC and SUPSI.
All such data will then be used, as part of the MixMyRide research project, for statistical analyses conducted by the whole research consortium.
The personal data will be processed by the MixMyRide project partners SUPSI, IDSIA USI-SUPSI, ZHAW, BePooler and CITEC for the performance of the public interest, scientific or statistical research entrusted to it by their research mandate (Legge sull’Università della Svizzera italiana, sulla Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana e sugli istituti di ricerca, art. 1) and/or by the contract SI/502321-01 between the Swiss Federal Office of Energy SFOE and SUPSI, IDSIA USI-SUPSI, ZHAW, BePooler and CITEC for the research project “MixMyRide: Mixing public transport, carpooling, and active mobility to reduce solo car use”.
With reference to personal data, we inform you that:
- The holder of the treatment is the Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana (SUPSI), based in via Pobiette 11, CH-6928 Manno, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- The responsible for data protection (data protection officer, DPO) can be contacted at the e-mail address: email@example.com;
- Your personal data will be processed only by persons belonging to SUPSI, BePooler, IDSIA USI-SUPSI, ZHAW and CITEC, authorized in relation to their functions and skills within the MixMyRide research project:
- Francesca Cellina and Tiziano Gerosa (SUPSI);
- Paolo Mastrobuono and Mirko Baruffini (BePooler);
- Marco Derboni and Vincenzo Giuffrida (IDSIA USI-SUPSI);
- Uroš Tomic, Raphael Hoerler, and Andrea del Duce (ZHAW);
- Camille Vedel, Franco Tufo, and Frederic Schettini (CITEC).
- SUPSI, IDSIA USI-SUPSI, ZHAW and CITEC will securely store your personal data in their Data Centers, located in Canton Ticino, in Canton Zurich and in Canton Geneva (Switzerland);
- SUPSI, IDSIA USI-SUPSI, ZHAW and CITEC will keep pseudo-anonymized personal data for the duration of the project. Once this period has expired, we will delete your pseudo-anonymized data, only impersonal consolidated data will be archived;
- The data collected via the MixMyRide app will be saved on protected servers hosted in Europe by Microsoft Azure under management by the BePooler project partner;
- The personal data you provide will neither be used for marketing purpose nor it will be shared with other entities outside the MixMyRide project.
Provision of your personal data is voluntary and at any time you can refuse to provide them, thus leading to the interruption of your participation in the MixMyRide project.
Apart from the exceptions provided by the regulations for use of data for scientific research purposes (art. 15 of the LPDP), at any time you have the right to:
- Access your personal data and obtain information on the existence of personal data concerning you;
- Obtain the correction or deletion of your data or the limitation of its treatment;
- If the data is in electronic format, request its portability (i.e. a structured format, commonly used and readable by an automatic device);
- Oppose the processing for legitimate reasons;
- Submit a complaint to the supervisory authorities.
You can assert your rights by contacting the SUPSI researcher responsible for the whole MixMyRide project (Francesca Cellina, via F. Ruchat-Roncati 15, 6850 Mendrisio, tel. +41(0)58 666 6261, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) and/or the DPO (firstname.lastname@example.org). According to the art. 21 of the LPDP, data stored in the above mentioned Data centers will be kept as long as they will be necessary for the purposes for which they were lawfully collected or processed.